We know that for our customers, caring for the environment comes just as easily as caring for their pets. But with so much “green washing” going on out there, it’s hard to differentiate what’s environmentally responsible and what’s just clever marketing. To get the facts, we asked our Green Team to do a little research and they came up with their “Green Team Top 5 Tips” for raising a green, and most importantly, happy, pet.
- Healthy Food Means a Healthy Planet – Feeding your pet a quality diet means a whole lot more than just keeping them healthy… it means you’re keeping the planet healthy as well. Natural pet foods are made without artificial flavors, preservatives and ingredients, and many (like EasyRaw) are made with minimal processing. Not to mention a lot of them are made in the USA or Canada with locally sourced ingredients that use limited amounts of fuel to get them from farm to bowl.
- Make Natural Products the Natural Choice – If you’re like most of us here, your pet has an entire cabinet dedicated to them (not to mention their own basket of toys). And when you take a look in there, you can see just how much your pet uses; from supplements and vitamins, to food and treats, everything can add up. That’s why it’s important to check the labels: conventional flea treatments are made from dangerous pesticides, natural flea care is just as effective and gentler on your pet and the environment; for food and treats, skip the box store and go for the natural option made from USA sourced ingredients; natural cleaners work just as well and are less harsh, biodegrade and safe for your pet; and make sure those pet toys are recyclable or made from renewable sources. By buying natural products, you’re doing your part to ensure that not only your pets, but all the future generations of pets, will have happy, fulfilling lives.
- Keep it Local – Buying products made in the USA and Canada can do a lot for your pet’s safety and the health of the environment. These foods meet tighter restrictions (especially ones produced in small factories, like “I and love and you”) than other products made overseas, so they’re much safer. Plus, the impact of shipping things on the same continent is much less than freighting them across the ocean. Not to mention you’re helping keep jobs in the USA, which supports your neighbors, and your neighbor’s pets.
- The Scoop on Poop – Pet waste is one of the biggest (and most obvious) effects our pets have on the environment. Uncollected dog waste can contaminate local environments and cat litter can collect in landfills. But you can take a few simple steps that will limit the effect your pet’s waste has. Just bag it! Simply by picking up after your dog (preferably in a biodegradable bag), you can keep local water sources clean and prevent the spread of disease. All Litters Are Not Created Equal! Traditional clay litters are strip mined and once they reach the landfill, they’ll never biodegrade. By using a plant based litter (like a plant based litter or walnut based litter) and a biodegradable pan liner, you can guarantee your cat’s waste won’t be here forever.
- Be a Fantastic Forever Home – This is the easiest one on the list, but this tip cannot be understated. By keeping your companions safe and healthy, you’re doing more than just enriching their (and your) lives; you’re keeping them off the street. Abandoned pets aren’t only a sad fact of life, they’re also a strain on our local environment. Feral cats can be detrimental to local birds, and if your animal isn’t spayed or neutered, they’ll quickly start adding to the pet overpopulation crisis. Many of these pets enter into the overcrowded shelter system where it’s hard for them to get the care and attention they need. Every time you hear their pitter patter through the house or see their wagging tail at the food bowl, give yourself a pat on the back for giving them a great life, and leaving the world a better place.
The Green Team out on another “Poop Pick-Up” mission!